Monday, October 10, 2011

The One Holiday I Hate

I hate Columbus Day.

I really do.

Let me begin by saying that I am from Texas, where, at least in my city, we never celebrated Columbus Day. In fact, let me present a brief timeline of the history of Columbus Day in my city.

1492 - 1995: No such thing as Columbus Day

1995 - 2008: Columbus Day is gradually discovered, considered a joke; like Arbor Day or Talk Like a Pirate Day

2008 - 2010: Mattress stores begin the savings

2011: Scott discovers that there are people in other parts of the country that get Columbus Day off (?!)

I'm very bitter about Columbus Day. I don't like it at all. It's a holiday where the only people who get a break are bank tellers and DPS clerks. Besides, it's a well known fact that Columbus himself only trekked out into the ocean because he was looking for a way to kill himself without the king thinking he was emo.

He couldn't even do that right.

So happy Columbus Day. I hate you. All of you.




Post-Script: I saw a headline in the newspaper recently that I felt lent itself to a lesson in capitalization.


No comments:

Post a Comment